03 June 2009

The Circus!!

So today was a challenge getting out of bed. My fold-out chair is actually kinda comfortable...thinner than a twin bed but you know. It works.

I went to class feeling pretty good about myself because I had done all my homework. Class was better today. Our teacher (the one who annoys me) got really upset because we didn't use the right amount of grams or kilograms for things we were saying we bought at the market. We told her we didn't know grams, and that we used pounds at home. She got really upset saying..what are we going to do? i don't know, I don't know how to use pounds. Ha. It is really funny because the homework was a grammar exercise. We told her it didn't matter if we said the right amount or not as long as the grammar is right. She was still really worried because what if we have to buy meat. I said I won't buy meat here, and if we do we can actually see the amount. She finally agreed but laughed every time we said something wrong. It was fantastic. Also earlier she asked why we looked so sad. And to really avoid the question I just said I learned not to smile in the metro. She laughed and explained why people don't smile in the metro and why it is important that we don't smile. Then she said but it was ok to smile in her class. I said I forgot. She laughed again.

After our two classes we got bad news that our last lecture class was cancelled. We were devastated. After class we just killed time until we had to meet for the circus! haha.

The circus was actually pretty fun. AND hilarious. Though I don't think they meant it to be. There were the usual acts, spinney people on ropes, a magician, and then gold. An act that started out with the Matrix theme song and green lasers, AND a man and a women in sunglasses with trench coats. FANTASTIC, the man started juggling briefcases, but wait there is more-- he took things out of the brief cases (obviously this part was set to mission impossible music, he took of the trench), He then started juggling the things out of the brief cases...of course set to the James Bond theme song. At least he felt cool.

THEN. there were these acrobats that jump on see-saw things and fly onto peoples shoulders or launch people in the air which was generally pretty cool. BUT there were dancers who just danced around the acrobats...in 70's fake fros, and sunglasses with neon outfits on. ALSO the music...techno abba. I really don't know how you can beat that. Sometimes all of the acrobats and dancers would dance together...YES..using old records as props. Did I mention the techno Abba? HILarious.

There were also the real cool acts with people bending in ways they shouldn't and flipping through the air. and tigers. and lions. but no bears...or elephants. It is ok. I'll take the disco-acrobats.

Also on the way home, as soon as I got out of the metro it started raining....in a terenchal downpour sort of way. Needless to say, after my mile walk home I was/am soaked. I looked like I had just jumped in the river. It actually was kinda refreshing. Luckily Nina didn't see me come in. I think she would have worried and then told me about how it is bad to walk in the rain. eh. Although it was kinda funny seeing all the Russian's who had enough sense to get out of the rain faces as I walked/sloshed by. I pretty sure I walked through some mini-rivers.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! The circus sounds so cool! I wanna go. I've been caught in my fair share of Russian summer downpours, gotta love being wet and muddy. :)

    ReplyDelete