16 May 2009

Actually from Russia

SO.

It is about 9:20 in Moscow and it seems like an eternity since I left Georgia.

I don't know how detailed to make this but I'm going to err on the side of too detailed.

I made it through Atlanta just fine. Then I sat forever. Then I got on the plane and because of weather in Chicago I sat some more..this time just on a plane rather than in the waiting area..but such is flying. I got to enjoy a book, apple, and granola bar ( thank you Nikki) However a very nice Russian couple sat next to me and very much not to my surprise I couldn't understand them. I blame it on they were whispering. Although I did catch something about chocolate cake.

I made it to Chicago. I sat down at my gate for Moscow and pulled out a sandwich for lunch. The older man with braces next to me felt inclined to say.."oh, a sandwich." To which I said yes. He then felt the need to tell me that I must be a college student. Again. I said yes. Normally I am a little more friendly, but thoughts of Taken and mother telling me not to talk to be in the airport overcame my need to be polite. He left. Then a family going to some city I can't pronounce in India I'm guessing sat next to me. They seemed nice enough. Finally my friend Ashley arrived. It was great. People you know do wonders when you are feeling all alone. ha.

Finally we boarded the plane to Moscow and tried not to think about what we were getting into for 3 months. We got to sit a little bit longer cause a lot of other planes were delayed because of the weather. The flight there was pretty uneventful. The in-flight movie was yes man which I really had no desire to watch and semi-decent plane food. Then I slept with the help of some meds. even then it wasn't the best sleep but I was grateful.

Then the landing. I didn't know there were so many trees, but i guess looking back on all those 'Russians are the bad guy' films people were always running in forests...away from Russians...interesting...anyway. Customs wasn't bad. Me and the Passport Man had a good conversation. I half smiled and he glared at me. It was nice. I got my luggage which I am super super excited about. Then we met the nice lady from the university that took us to a ride which was a mini van with camouflage seat covers. Very rustic. We then began our trip to our home stays. Ashley and I were joined by another BYU student who was there for an internship and had served a mission Russian speaking. He laughed when he learned Ashley and I had only taken up to 202 in Russian. I don't know if we can be friends. Then we hit Moscow we hit traffic..at 2:30 on a Saturday. Beat that Atlanta. Anyway when asked why there was traffic the lady responed.. why? It's Moscow. However, we did get to listen to Russian pop which was interesting. One lyric said something about a chocolate rabbit. (I seem to pick up things pertaining to Chocolate.)

Smarty pants boy was the first to be dropped off. I was next. I got stuck in my first Russian elevator for a minute or so. It was really a coming of age for me. Then I met my Russian family. There is a mother, a son around 17, and a daughter my age.Oh and a cat. The mom and the daughter speak English well which is good cause all the Russian I knew flew out the window. They graciously let me take a shower which was amazing and needed. Then we ate some Russian calat (salad). It kinda was like cole slaw..with shrimp. Then I came into my room and freaked out for a bit. It was great. I also unpacked. I also read and listened to music which was soothing.

Then we had dinner which was chicken and rice. They asked if I wanted ketchup, and a beer. Don't worry I said no to both. Apparently they have done this before. Actually they had a kid from Atlanta last time. I spotted a Georgia Bulldog's hat on the coat rack which was comforting. I am in a really nice part of Moscow. The neighborhood seemes newer. The flat is really nice too. Plus I have internet which is very unusal, but I'm stoked about.

Those have been my adventures so far. It is about 10 here and I'm getting tired. I hope to hear from y'all too!

1 comment:

  1. holly this is amazing. im so proud of you for taking this opportunity. you rock. enjoy and ill be reading because i totally regret not doing anything like this.
    -
    betsey bagwell tingey

    ReplyDelete