17 May 2009

Я не понимаю



the title for this blog comes from my most used phrase in Russia: I do not understand. ha.

So today I woke up at 3 in the morning. Oh how I love jet lag. Actually I never knew I could be so productive at 3 in the morning. I sent emails, registered for classes in the fall, and counted how many days I have left. HA...but really. I managed to fall back asleep around 5ish. I then slept til 11:30 which is 3:30 in the morning Georgia time. Ironic.

When I got up my land lady told me that someone called for me and told her that I was to meet for church. This is probably the best news ever because I was preparing for a fun filled day in my room trying not to die. Phillip their son was to take me to the Metro and help me exchange money and buy my Metro pass for the 85 days I have left.

sidenote- they gave us a lecture before we left Utah about how not to get ourselves killed or robbed. It was very comforting. As a result, I put my money in my scripture case. I felt it was safe there. Also I did not even really need to bring them since they are in English but I felt safer.

So the we exchanged my dollars to Rubles. I quite enjoy the exchange rate. For 80 bucks I got 2500 Rubles which more than paid for my 3 month pass. I had 255 rubles left over. I was rich.

Phillip took me to the metro which felt like years away and then asked me in Russian if I remembered the route. Good thing I was paying attention and didn't just answer Da. ha. but I did feel like I somewhat remember how to get back. He took me through the first stop to my transfer and then told me to get off in three stops and bye. He left. Yikes. Luckily I found my group easily and without any tears.

After talking with my friends, I learned they were in the same boat, but I was more in first class. ha. I mean I felt bad but no one else has internet or in other words no connection to the outside world. They also were by themselves with an older Russian lady. Generally these women are...overbearing and nosy. Actually one other girl had some more company...about 15 cats. wow. Also these women do not speak any English and do not speak slow Russian. My family speak English well and slow Russian. This is the part of the day I feel really grateful.

Then we went to church. I didn't understand anything. Well I understood names. Excuse me. I keep hearing about President Uchtdorf apparently he is coming. Someone had to tell me later. Hopefully I can go.

Then none of us really wanted to go home so we walked to Red Square. On the way there everyone was quiet. Our program facilitator (he is a student but knows what is going on) said " Everyone is so quiet, Everyone is thinking what am I doing? I am paying money for this? What did I get myself into." All of us replied - yes that is exactly what I am thinking. Then we turned the corner and saw St. Basil's Catherdral. I think our opinions changed slightly, and it was the first time I felt like I was in Moscow. We just walked around a bit saw the building for Lenin's tomb which seems creepy enough on the outside. We also saw changing of the guard which is on a much smaller scale than London's. I will try and get a video to post. I also bought a water cause I was dying. It was 45 rubles. I almost died and then I remembered it was a little over a dollar. Apparently it was still expensive, probably because it was in Red Square.

Then came the stressful part of the day: getting to my apartment...by myself. I prayed a lot. Apparently Moscow is a pretty safe city, but I am skeptical per usual. I got off the Metro ok..on the wrong stop then got back on and got off at the right one. I then made it to the correct transfer point. Got off and out fine. Then I had to remember how to get to my apartment. This is where I freaked a little. But I made it just fine. Thank goodness I have a decent sense of direction.

I got home and actually had a good converstation with my Host lady, Nina about Mormons. She asked if my dad had more than one wife and things like that, but she didn't know that there was a church here in Moscow that was given in Russian. I tried to bring up the missionaries, but I don't think she understood. I guess trying that on my second day was a bit hopefully. Hehe. Though she told me to tell her when I have my fast and things like that. She also understands more fully why I don't drink alchohol, regular tea, or coffee. This is great break through compared to my fellow students. Then we had a dinner with mini hot dogs from my best guess and a great green salad.

1 comment:

  1. You sound totally spoiled in regards to your host family. That'll really help you get your feet under you. Good luck with classes this upcoming week! I wanna see more pictures!!

    ReplyDelete