07 May 2009

So it begins...well at least the packing

So. Here is the beginning of my documentation of Russia.
Currently, I am supposed to be packing and getting all my stuff together for Russia. I am considering this blog a preparation for Russia so that I do not get into trouble for 'goofing off' or a personal favorite- 'not using my time wisely.' I believe that the very person who would say that will be grateful in the end for this blog. And as a side note, I have been packing most of the day. sort of. Packing always frustrates me.
reasons-
-my family believes I am good at it. This could be true, but it has given me a false idea of how much stuff I should bring. Let me explain- I am good at conserving space so I have more room in my suitcase than the average packer-- more space means yes...I can fit one more pair of shoes in my suitcase. Do I actually need those shoes or shirt or tennis racket? Probably not..but there is room so it goes in the suitcase. It almost becomes a sick game. How much junk can I squeeze into each small open space? It is horrific.
-I have never been to Russia. shocker. So I do not know the weather patterns. This causes several problems packing. I have everything from a decently warm coat to skirts. (I would use shorts here but Russians apparently don't wear shorts unless you are 5 and I think I have passed that benchmark) I constantly wonder if I have the proper clothes. As a result I over compensate and pack too much (see previous note) which always causes problems when I try and bring the stuff I bought home.
-I still need clothes to wear. You can never be fully packed. ever. even in the car to the airport you have to have your ID and cell phone and a snack. Something is always out. This frustrates me. I would like to packed fully. just once. However, I think wearing the same clothes over and over for a week would not be kosher and probably smelly.

those are my packing qualms.

and I have successfully avoided them for around an hour.

1 comment:

  1. Yay for packing!! I'm a fan of taking too much...cuz yeah, you never know what you'll need. But also consider you'll probably be leaving stuff there cuz you'll need room to bring home all the fun stuff you accumulate. I don't envy you, packing can suck...but it's a necessary evil.

    ReplyDelete