29 May 2009

oh the little things.

When you are thrown into a completely different country and culture. You start noticing the small things that make life grand. You thrive on the little things.

sleeping in. Now this doesn't necessarily have to deal with Russia, but when I get up at 7 everyday and just go and don't really stop til 8 at night. sleeping in is a rare treasure. Not even just sleeping in but lounging til I have to really go. It is a great feeling.

emails, gchat, and telephone calls. I received so many emails today. It was great hearing from so many good people. Friends across the globe. People I love. Knowing they are doing well and what to share that with me, makes me smile. Gchat saves my life sometimes. I can talk and discuss how I am feeling or just laugh and be sarcastic. It is almost as good as a phone call. Phone calls have become a strange thing of the past but are the best when I get them.

speaking. Today I bought what I needed, a calling card, with the lady understanding me and me understanding her. It was brilliant. Fantastic even. Understanding is a great gift.

zooparks. We went to the zoo park today. It was fun. They had a lot of animals, mostly birds. I swear there were a million bird houses and cages. A lot of cages were empty. I am worried for those Russian animals...just disappearing. ha. Also there was a dolphin show. However the dolphins weren't park of the act. There were seals and beluga whales.

friends. the zoopark was great but what was greater was walking around with friends. I am so blessed to have some of my closer friends here. People who will share their umbrella when there are freak rainstorms and you are in a skirt and short sleeved shirt and thought it was going to be sunny. Also people that are having just as hard as time as you and understand when you complain, and let you complain. ha. Russia is hard, but friends make it better.

granola bars. We went to the store after the zoopark. I bought deodorant which everyone is grateful for, but I also found a gem. granola bars. They are generally non-existent here. Now I can have something different than bread and cheese or carbs in general. I love granola bars. Also I bought chocolate which is self explanatory.

French Fries. We went to KFC for dinner. lame I know. but sometimes you just need a break from Russia and a nice chicken wrap and french fries with an orange fanta is the perfect break. HAHA. also again ordering what I want the man behind understanding. It is really beautiful.

Laundry. I did laundry today. It was great. A lot of people don't have washing machines in Russia. I am blessed to have one. I also got to do my own laundry. This is fantastic as well. Most of my friends' babushkas insist on doing their laundry so that us Americans won't break their precious washing machines. I did my own which means my underwear did not end up hanging in the bathroom for the world to see. They don't have dryers here.

dryers.

Trash cans. I got a trash can today. This is exciting because trash cans are hard to find here. strange I know, but usually there is a grocery bag by the refrigerator and that is all. I have been using a bag in my room that I got at a store. Now I have an actual garbage can. Look out.

Strawberries. Today there were strawberries on the table. anything on the table is up for grabs. I love strawberries. I grabbed some.

2 comments:

  1. we had a dryer. a washer dryer combo, it was the coolest thing ever. we were definitely the small minority of those living in Russia with one of those. we think our landlord had a mafia connection. have you tried the yogurt there yet? it's so good. Oooh, and there's this drink called Snezhok. also super tasty, it's this sweet, milky, yogurty drink. try it, i dare you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's funny, we didn't have dryers in Korea either. In the winter, our clothes would freeze and we'd break the ice off and put them on. haha. The good 'ol days.

    ReplyDelete